Did you know? Sleep apnea can cause heart disease and other health conditions such as chronic fatigue, elevated blood pressure, brain fogginess, and weight gain, just to name a few. While it may seem like a condition that’s difficult or impossible to treat, many natural solutions for sleep apnea, if done properly, can address the condition and bring peaceful and uninterrupted sleep in no time.
If you suffer from sleep apnea in St. Petersburg, the treatment you seek will depend on the following factors:
- Cause of blockage to the airway
- The severity of sleep apnea
- Conditions or medical problems you have
Here are possible solutions for sleep apnea— natural remedies and specially designed items — that may be ideal for you:
If sleep apnea is related to tongue or jaw position, a custom oral appliance designed by a specially trained St. Petersburg dentist can help. Oral appliances like mouth guards and mouthpieces act as solutions for sleep apnea for people with mild to moderate symptoms or severe sleep apnea patients who can’t tolerate a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device. Patients 18 and above wear these guards during sleep.
Are you snoring? This could be a sign of sleep apnea. One of the simple solutions for sleep apnea is changing your sleeping position. Try sleeping on your side and not on your back. This is often difficult at first at first because it is a different position. This is where special pillows can come in, as they maintain a constant sleep position. Many mild sleep apnea patients in St. Petersburg use a special pillow to help stretch the neck, resulting in reduced snoring and improved sleep.
Essential oils are naturally occurring volatile compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers and other parts of plants. These ancient remedies have made a comeback in recent years in Western civilizations but have been used since Biblical times (there are over 180 references to their uses in the Bible), as well as in Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece & China for food preparation, beauty treatments, and health-care practices.
When properly extracted, and tested for purity and optimal potency, essential oils have unique therapeutic properties that can help support you and your family’s health in St. Petersburg. This is why you will want to look for the CPTG (Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) seal. I use the doTERRA brand for myself, my family and in my practice in St. Petersburg. My top choices of essential oils as solutions for sleep apnea are:
- Marjoram: This contains sedative properties that help induce sleep. Marjoram oil calms the nerves, relaxes the muscles and alleviates respiratory complaints.
- Lavender: With its therapeutic properties, lavender oil can assist people suffering from nervous disorders and sleep problems and help them relax.
- Roman Chamomile: It’s known to assist with relaxation and promote sound sleep.
- Cinnamon Bark: This spice is said to have sedative properties and may assist with breathing problems. Add cinnamon powder to a glass of water and drink daily.
- Eucalyptus: This can be another remedy for sleep apnea caused by nasal congestion, given its anti-inflammatory properties and ability to clear up mucus from the nose and the throat. Eucalyptus oil clears out the airways for easier breathing. Before using, dilute the oil in a carrier oil like jojoba, coconut, or almond.
- Thyme: Thyme oil is recommended to those in St. Petersburg looking for solutions for sleep apnea and constant snoring. It is extensively used to address respiratory conditions and help with freeing up blocked airways that can trigger sleep apnea. Just like eucalyptus oil, delude thyme oil first with a carrier oil before topical application.
Other Solutions for Sleep Apnea in St. Petersburg
An Epsom salt bath before bedtime may help relax muscles and induce a feeling of well-being that may promote comfortable sleep. Add Epsom salts to a warm bath and soak for 20 minutes. You can also try eating these foods that can help promote better sleep health and eventually address sleep apnea:
- Raw Honey: It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce swelling around the throat, and address snoring because it acts as a lubricant for the throat.
- Garlic: This vegetable is one of the potential solutions for sleep apnea because it delivers anti-inflammatory capabilities. It can also alleviate large tonsils and open up the airways for easier breathing. You can try eating two to three garlic cloves daily followed by a glass of high-quality filtered water or add more garlic to your daily meals.
- Deskinned raw almonds: Raw almonds contain high amounts of magnesium that can assist with muscle relaxation and sleep. However, make sure to only eat deskinned almonds, because almond peels contain lectins, which are plant proteins that can be precursors to various health problems.
- Warm turmeric milk: Milk is able to promote sound sleep, while turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. This combination can work to lessen inflammation in the respiratory system for easier breathing during sleep. Try boiling a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a cup of raw, grass-fed milk. Allow to cool and drink it around three or more hours before bed.
For any additional information, or to schedule an individualized consultation with Board Certified Holistic Health Practitioner Isabelle Simon, call our office at 727-239-9443.