Did you know? Sleep apnea can cause heart disease and other health conditions such as chronic fatigue, elevated blood pressure, brain fogginess, and weight gain, just to name a few.
While it may seem like a condition that’s difficult or impossible to treat, many natural solutions for sleep apnea, if done properly, can address the condition and bring peaceful and uninterrupted sleep in no time.
If you suffer from sleep apnea in St. Petersburg, the treatment you seek will depend on the following factors:
- Cause of blockage to the airway
- Severity of sleep apnea
- Conditions or medical problems you have
Here are possible sleep apnea solutions — natural remedies and specially designed items — that may be ideal for you:
If sleep apnea is related to tongue or jaw position, a custom oral appliance designed by a specially trained dentist can help. Oral appliances like mouth guards and mouthpieces are usually recommended for people with mild to moderate sleep apnea, or severe sleep apnea patients who can’t tolerate a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device. These are intended for individuals 18 years old and above, and can be worn during sleeping.
Are you snoring? This could be a sign of sleep apnea. Try sleeping on your side and not on your back. You may find it difficult to do so at first, because you aren’t used to it, but this is where special pillows can come in, as these can help maintain constant sleep position. A special pillow may be used by mild sleep apnea patients to help stretch the neck, resulting in reduced snoring and improved sleep.
Essential oils are naturally occurring volatile compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers and other parts of plants. These ancient remedies have made a come back in recent years in Western civilizations, but have been used since Biblical times (there are over 180 references to their uses in the Bible), as well as in Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece & China for food preparation, beauty treatments and health-care practices.
When properly extracted, and tested for purity and optimal potency, essential oils have unique therapeutic properties that can help support your and your family’s health. This is why you will want to look for the CPTG (Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) seal. I use the doTERRA brand for myself, my family and in my practice. My top choices of essential oils for sleep apnea are:
- Marjoram: This contains sedative properties that help induce sleep. Marjoram oil is often used to calm the nerves, relax the muscles and alleviate respiratory complaints.
- Lavender: With its therapeutic properties, lavender oil can assist people suffering from nervous disorders and sleep problems and help them relax.
- Roman Chamomile: It’s known to assist with relaxation and promote sound sleep.
- Cinnamon Bark: This spice is said to have sedative properties and may assist with breathing problems. Add cinnamon powder to a glass of water and drink daily.
- Eucalyptus: This can be another remedy for sleep apnea caused by nasal congestion, given its anti-inflammatory properties and ability to clear up mucus from the nose and the throat. Eucalyptus oil clears out the airways for easier breathing. Before using, dilute the oil in a carrier oil like jojoba, coconut, or almond.
- Thyme: Those who are suffering from sleep apnea and constant snoring are recommended to try thyme oil. It is extensively used to address respiratory conditions and help with freeing up blocked airways that can trigger sleep apnea. Just like eucalyptus oil, thyme oil must be diluted first with a carrier oil before topical application.
An Epsom salt bath before bedtime may help relax muscles and induce a feeling of well-being that may promote comfortable sleep. Add Epsom salts to a warm bath and soak for 20 minutes. You can also try eating these foods that can help promote better sleep health and eventually address sleep apnea:
- Raw Honey: It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce swelling around the throat, and can be used to address snoring because it acts as a lubricant for the throat.
- Garlic: This vegetable is said to be a potential sleep apnea cure because it delivers anti-inflammatory capabilities. It can also alleviate large tonsils and open up the airways for easier breathing. You can try eating two to three garlic cloves daily followed by a glass of high-quality filtered water, or add more garlic to your daily meals.
- Deskinned raw almonds: Raw almonds contain high amounts of magnesium that can assist with muscle relaxation and sleep. However, make sure to only eat deskinned almonds, because almond peels contain lectins, which are plant proteins that can be precursors to various health problems.
- Warm turmeric milk: Milk is able to promote sound sleep, while turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. This combination can work to lessen inflammation in the respiratory system for easier breathing during sleep. Try boiling a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a cup of raw, grass fed milk. Allow to cool and drink it around three or more hours before bed.
For any additional information, or to schedule an individualized consultation with Board Certified Holistic Health Practitioner Isabelle Simon, call our office at 727-239-9443.